Skip to content
At Handford Wines, we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
- This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information about people who visit our website, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.
- We may change this Policy from time to time so please check this page occasionally to ensure that you’re happy with any changes.
Explaining the legal bases we rely on
- The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
- In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. For example: when request to receive email newsletters or to join our Private Client list.
- When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
- In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, if you order an item from us for home delivery, we’ll collect your address details to deliver your purchase, and pass them to our courier.
- If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data to fulfil our statutory obligations. For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity to law enforcement.
- In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. For example, we will use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers. We may also use your address details to send you direct marketing information by post, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you.
How do we collect information from you?
- We obtain information about you when you use our website, when you purchase products, event ticket or services from us or if you register to receive our newsletters and offers.
- In our shop, our CCTV systems operate for the security of both Handford Wines and its customers. These systems may record your image during your visit.
What type of information is collected from you?
- The personal information we collect might include your name, address, email address, IP address, and information regarding what pages are accessed and when. If you purchase a product or service from us online, your card information is not held by us, it is collected by our third party payment processors, who specialise in the secure capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions, as explained below.
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit our shop.
- To deliver the best possible web experience, when you visit our website we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit and any search terms you entered.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
How is your information used?
- We may use your information to:
- process orders that you have submitted;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into by you and us;
- notify you of changes to our services;
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you. These may include information about offers, tastings and events.
- We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis.
- We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations.
- We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
Who has access to your information?
- We will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
- We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- We may pass your information to our third party service providers, agents, subcontractors and other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (for example to deliver products or send you newsletters). However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service. Please be reassured that we will not otherwise release your information to third parties unless you have requested us to do so, or we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
- When you are paying for products and services on this website, your payment is processed by a third party payment processor (currently PayPal), who specialises in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions. If you have any questions regarding secure transactions, please contact us.
- Our EMS (email marketing service) provider is MailChimp. We operate an email mailing list program, used to inform subscribers about products, services and/or news we supply/publish. Users can subscribe through an online automated process where they have given their explicit permission. Subscriber personal details are collected, processed, managed and stored in accordance with this policy. Subscribers can unsubscribe at any time through an automated online service, or if not available, other means as detailed in the footer of sent marketing messages. The type and content of marketing messages subscribers receive is clearly outlined at the point of subscription.
- You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. If you do not want to receive direct marketing communications from us about our products and services, then you can select your choices by ticking the relevant boxes situated on the form on which we collect your information.
- We will not contact you for marketing purposes by phone or text message unless you have given your prior consent. We will not contact you for marketing purposes by post or email if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted. You can change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us by email: email@example.com or telephone on 020 8579 6113.
How you can access and update your information
- The accuracy of your information is important to us. If you change personal contact details, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at: Handford Wines, 105 Old Brompton Road, London, SW7 3LE. Alternatively, you can telephone 020 8579 6113.
- You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Handford Wines hold about you. We may charge up to £10 for information requests to cover our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Security precautions in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of your information.
- When you give us personal information, we take steps to ensure that it’s treated securely. Non-sensitive details (your email address etc.) are transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
- We may analyse your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you. We may also use your personal information to detect and reduce fraud and credit risk.
Use of ‘cookies’
- What are cookies? Cookies are small files saved to the user’s computers hard drive that track, save and store information about the user’s interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
- Email marketing messages may contain tracking beacons / tracked clickable links or similar server technologies in order to track subscriber activity within email marketing messages. Where used, such marketing messages may record a range of subscriber data relating to engagement, geographic, demographics and already stored subscriber data.
Links to other websites
- In addition, if you linked to our website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site.
Downloads & Media Files
- Any downloadable documents, files or media made available on our website are provided to users at their own risk. While all precautions have been undertaken to ensure only genuine downloads are available users are advised to verify their authenticity using third party anti virus software or similar applications.
- We accept no responsibility for third party downloads and downloads provided by external third party websites and advise users to verify their authenticity using third party anti virus software or similar applications.
18 or Under
- It is against the law for any person under the age of 18 to buy, or attempt to buy, intoxicating liquor or for any person over the age of 18 to buy or attempt to buy intoxicating liquor for any person under the age of 18. By placing an order you confirm that you and the recipient of the wine are at least 18 years old.
Transferring your information outside of Europe
- As part of the services offered to you through this website, the information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the European Union (“EU”). These countries may not have similar data protection laws to the UK. By submitting your personal data, you’re agreeing to this transfer, storing or processing. If we transfer your information outside of the EU in this way, we will take steps to ensure that appropriate security measures are taken with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected as outlined in this Policy.
- If you use our services while you are outside the EU, your information may be transferred outside the EU in order to provide you with those services.
Review of this Policy
- We keep this Policy under regular review. This Policy was last updated in August 2019.